Big Cubes in Edneyville 2023
- May 28, 2023
- Edneyville, North Carolina, United States
- 15 Ida Rogers Rd, Edneyville North Carolina
- CubingUSA Treasurer and Dalton Padgett
- WCA Delegates
- Cady Shields, Clay Moore, Dalton Padgett, Jacob Ambrose, Katie Hull, Pierce Tickle, and Raymond Goslow
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
Please always include your name and competition name in any email that you send to us.
All competitors must read the "Competitor Information" tab prior to registering.
Please read all tabs prior to the competition and regularly check your email for updates from us. All contact will be made by email.
This competition is supported by CubingUSA.
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 35 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $30 (United States Dollar).
The registration fee has to be paid through Stripe here once registered.
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 90% of your registration fee.
Registrants on the waiting list may be accepted onto the competitor list until .
We encourage everyone to register for the events they want to compete in via your online registration, however you may add events to your registration up until the event has started.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
Spectators are only permitted as companions of competitors.
Competitors may bring at most 1 guest.
- To register for this competition, you must pay in full in advance through Stripe. Your registration is not complete until you pay.
- You do not have a spot at the competition until you receive a confirmation email with the subject line: "Your registration for Big Cubes in Edneyville 2023 has been accepted." Do not make travel plans until you receive the acceptance email.
- After the competition reaches 35 complete registrations, a waitlist will be created. You must pay to be placed on the waitlist. If you are at the top of the waiting list and someone cancels their registration, you will receive an email from the organizers stating that your registration is accepted. The email address that will be used is the one linked to your WCA account. Please make sure that the email linked to your WCA account is one you check regularly.
- After the competition, all competitors on the waiting list will recieve a refund for the registration cost minus tax.
- If the competition reaches its competitor limit and when registration closes, no additional registrations will be accepted. No exceptions.
- To cancel your registration, please email the organizers with your name telling them you want to cancel your registration.
- If you are interested in being on staff for this competition please email the Organization Team. Staff will be refunded after the competition.
Only one guest per competitor will be permitted.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
Vishwa Sankar won with a mean of 2:34.32 in the 7x7x7 Cube event. Kerry Creech finished second (2:43.60) and Katie Hull finished third (2:49.49).
|5x5x5 Cube||Vishwa Sankar||50.28||55.45||United States||1:01.46||57.45||51.63||57.28||50.28|
|6x6x6 Cube||Vishwa Sankar||1:26.35||1:32.94||United States||1:33.63||1:26.35||1:38.83|
|7x7x7 Cube||Vishwa Sankar||2:28.16||2:34.32||United States||2:34.90||2:39.89||2:28.16|
|5x5x5 Cube||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||6:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:45.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Second round||Bo2 / Ao5||6:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:45.00||Top 8 advance to next round|
|6x6x6 Cube||First round||Bo1 / Mo3||10:00.00||1 attempt to get < 4:30.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Second round||Bo1 / Mo3||10:00.00||1 attempt to get < 4:30.00||Top 8 advance to next round|
|7x7x7 Cube||First round||Bo1 / Mo3||10:00.00||1 attempt to get < 6:30.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Second round||Bo1 / Mo3||10:00.00||1 attempt to get < 6:30.00||Top 8 advance to next round|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue [Edneyville Community Center](https://www.hendersoncountync.gov/recreation/page/edneyville-community-center).
The schedule is displayed in the timezone America/New_York.
Add to calendar
Schedule for Sunday (May 28, 2023)
Competitor Check-In and Tutorial
If you are a first-time competitor, please see one of the Delegates before your first event to learn how to compete.
Expectations and Clarifications
- You are expected to be familiar with the WCA Regulations and Guidelines. Article A is most important for speedsolving events.
- You are expected to help judge. You should judge for at least one group of every event you compete in. You may be assigned to judge throughout the day. You may be disqualified if you refuse to judge when asked.
- If you want a refresher on how to compete or judge, you can read the WCA Competitor Tutorial.
- You must NOT talk about scrambles or what specific algorithm(s) you did while the event is still in progress. This is considered cheating and grounds for disqualification (Regulation 2g3).
- Make sure all screens of any cameras or phones you have on the table are facing away from you and do not touch them during the attempt; otherwise, this will result in a DNF (Regulation 2i2). Electronic/bluetooth cubes (ex. Giiker cube, GOcube, GAN356i) are not permitted under the same regulation.
- Please treat the venue with respect. Pick up any trash, and leave the venue better than how you found it.
- We are not responsible for your belongings or puzzles. Keep track of your own belongings/puzzles and be respectful of others and their belongings.
- Only one guest is allowed per competitor. However, no prior registration is required for guests.
- Flash photography is NOT allowed in the venue, as it is very distracting.
Live Results & Schedule
- You can find live results for the competition on WCA Live. A few days after the competition, the results will be uploaded to WCA officially.
- We reserve the right to alter the schedule in any way. We may alter the number of competitors proceeding to the next round. We may eliminate a round altogether. This all depends on if we run ahead or behind of the planned schedule.
- We may start a round early. Please make sure you are at the venue at least 20 minutes prior to an event you are competing in.
- We will be using regulation 9p3 for all final rounds. If you are not present when a final starts, you will be withdrawn from that final.
The Organizers, WCA, and venue do not hold any responsibility or liability if you become ill. You are attending this competition at your own risk.
People You Should Know
Your WCA Delegates for this competition are Cady Shields, Dalton Padgett, Jared Stinson, Katie Hull, and Raymond Goslow. Your organizer is Dalton Padgett. Ask them if you have any questions throughout the day! Please remember that all Delegates, Organizers, and Competition Staff are unpaid volunteers.
For those of you new to cubing, WELCOME!
We just ask you know a couple things before coming to compete...
First, please be familiar with the WCA Regulations, found here:
This video will help explain most of what any cuber competing for the first time will need to know. It is highly suggested that parents watch this video as well.
A written competitor tutorial can be found here.
If you still feel like you need more guidance on how to compete after reviewing these resources, please find one of the competition Delegates on the morning of the competition and we will be glad to go over competition procedures with you.
If you are stoked to compete and ready to sign up, head over to the registration tab once registration opens, fill out the information it asks for, and submit your registration and payment. This will get you one step closer to your first official solve!
- Please bring some form of identification. This will be used to verify your name, birthday, and nationality. (something like a passport or school ID).
- Please be familiar with all of WCA's regulations, most importantly Article A. If you have any questions about the regulations, feel free to ask us.
- In each event we will have rounds. We will take the top competitors on to the subsequent rounds. After a round is completed, results will be entered into WCA Live. Your name will be highlighted if you made it to the next round.
- Each round will be divided into groups to help them run more efficiently. We will call the groups in order. Please bring your solved puzzle up to the station with your scorecard. We are allowed to deny you the ability to compete if you do not come up when your assigned group is called.
Click the FAQ tab to find the answers to commonly asked questions.
Q: Do I use my own cube to compete?
A: YES! You are responsible providing your own hardware in order to compete.
Q: What are some examples of puzzles that are not allowed?
A: Electronic cubes (such as Giiker, GOcube, or GAN356i), carbon fiber stickers, significantly damaged stickers, faces missing stickers (note: completely stickerless cubes are allowed), and/or cubes missing pieces. Please see Article 3 of the regulations for more details.
Q: Are Delegates, Organizers, and Competition Staff paid?
A: No, no one is paid for their work. Delegates, Organizers, and Staff are all unpaid volunteers who do this in our free time often at our own expense.
Q: Are spectators allowed?
A: Competitors are permitted to bring one guest (i.e. a parent) with them to the competition. Competitors ages 16 and older are encouraged to come alone to limit the number of people in the venue. Spectators who are not accompying a competitor are not permitted.
Q: I have a question, who should I contact?
A: If you have any questions about this competition, please email the organizers and be sure to include your name in the email.
Q: What is the average age of competitors at these events?
A: All ages are welcome, but in general competitors are between 10 and 25 years old. Don't let this stop you though - everyone can and should cube! There will be competitors of all ages present.
Q: How fast do you have to be to compete?
A: The events at this competition are a bit different than most other competitions, but if you can solve the 5x5 cube in under 6 minutes or the 6x6 or 7x7 cube in under 10 minutes, you will be fast enough to achieve an official result.
Q: What is the competition like?
A: Competitions are a bunch of tables where nerds like us get to sit and discuss our favorite thing - cubes! Of course there is also competing, which will occupy one side of the competition hall, where you will see lots of timers flickering with contestants' new personal bests. Most competitions have a break for lunch, and the competing is split up into groups, as to better organize who competes when. (Check the Live Results/Groups tab and listen at the competition for more info on this.)
Q: How do I find results?
A: All results are posted on the WCA page a couple days after the competition finishes. However, for the day of the competition, go to WCA Live to find information about current events. This is also where you will find information about the 2nd and 3rd rounds of events. Results have to be entered in by hand and will not appear immediately on WCA Live; please be patient with us as we work to upload results as quickly as possible.
Q: Why am I not on the competitors list yet?
A: Registrations must be approved manually, so please give us time to accept your registration. Registration is likely to fill very quickly for this competition. Registrations are accepted in the order of payment. A waitlist will form once 35 registrants have paid. Even if you register the same day that registration opens, the competition might already be full. If you have additional concerns please email us.
Q: Are there age or gender divisions?
A: Nope! All competitors compete in the same division.
Q: Can I have fun at this event?
A: HECK YES! Cubing is amazing, and we sincerely hope you enjoy the competition!
Location: Edneyville Community Center
Room Details: It is in the front door and to the left
Lunch: There are plenty of restaurants about 5 miles from the venue
Parking: There is plenty of free parking at the venue
Live results can be found on WCA Live.
A group sheet will be posted here after registration closes.
Results from the competition will be submitted and uploaded officially to WCA within a week after the competition.
Below is the Waitlist Policy:
After the competition reaches 35 complete registrations, a waitlist will be created. You must pay to be placed on the waitlist. If you are at the top of the waiting list and someone cancels their registration, you will receive an email from the organizers stating that your registration is accepted. The email address that will be used is the one linked to your WCA account. Please make sure that the email linked to your WCA account is one you check regularly.
- You do not have a spot at the competition until you receive a confirmation email with the subject line: "Your registration for Big Cubes in Edneyville 2023 has been accepted." Do not make travel plans until you receive the acceptance email and see your name on the competitors list.
- After the competition, all competitors on the waiting list will recieve a refund.
If you reach the time limit during your solve, the judge will stop you and your result will be DNF (see Regulation A1a4).
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.