UCSD Extravaganza PBQ 2023
- Oct 8, 2023
- San Diego, California, United States
Price Center, UC San Diego
- 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093
- Organization team
- Ruby Lu
- WCA Delegates
- Arthur Adams, Elijah Brown, Matthew Dickman, Ruby Lu, and Shane Grogan
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
This is a PBQ competition. Please see UCSD Extravaganza 2023 for a regular competition the day before.
This competition is recognized as an official World Cube Association competition. Therefore, all competitors must be familiar with the WCA Regulations. If you are new to competing, please refer to the Competitor Responsibilities tab.
- Main event
- Competitor limit
- Number of times bookmarked
- Registration period
Online registration opened and will close .
- Registration requirements
Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 25 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $5 (United States Dollar).
The registration fee has to be paid through Stripe here once registered.
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 90% of your registration fee.
Registrants on the waiting list may be accepted onto the competitor list until .
If you are a registered competitor you may change your registered events until on the Register tab.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
- Wait until registration opens on Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 9:00 PM PDT. You cannot register prior to then. You cannot register after Friday, September 29, 2023 at 8:00 PM PDT. No exceptions to these will be given. If deemed necessary, we may close registration early.
- If you have not competed before, create a WCA account here.
- Go to the Register link on the competition website.
- Fill out the events you will be competing in, any comments you may have about your registration, and press register.
- Pay the registration fee via Stripe on the competition website.
Competitors MUST pay their registration fee before being eligible for a spot in the competition.
If the competition is full, a message will be displayed saying such on the competition website. If, after this time, you register and pay for the competition, you will be added to the competition waitlist.
If a competitor cancels their registration, the person at the top of the waitlist will be added to the competitor list.
If you are on the waitlist, you may cancel your registration (see below) at any time for a full refund.
If you are on the waitlist, you will be informed whether you have made it on the competitor list after Friday, September 29, 2023 at 8:00 PM PDT, otherwise you will be given a full refund.
If you would like to cancel your registration, email the organization team with your request and you will be refunded 90% of your registration fee. Refunds are available only until Friday, September 29, 2023 at 8:00 PM PDT.
If you would like to edit your registered events or listed guests, you may do so on the Register page. This can only be done prior to Friday, September 29, 2023 at 8:00 PM PDT.
By registering, competitors agree to the information in the Competitor Responsibilities tab. This tab details the responsibilities of all competitors at this competition. Not abiding by these responsibilities can result in disqualification.
|3x3x3 Fewest Moves||Final||Mo3||1 hour|
|4x4x4 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||2:00:00.00 total for 5x5x5 Blindfolded Final and 4x4x4 Blindfolded Final **|
|5x5x5 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||2:00:00.00 total for 5x5x5 Blindfolded Final and 4x4x4 Blindfolded Final **|
|3x3x3 Multi-Blind||Final||Bo2||10:00.00 per cube, up to 60:00.00|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue Price Center, UC San Diego.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone America/Los_Angeles.
Add to calendar
Schedule for Sunday (October 08, 2023)
MUST READ BEFORE REGISTERING
Showing up to compete:
- Since you have registered online, there is no need to check in upon arrival. Please make sure you arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the beginning of your first event and allow for time to park and to find the venue.
- You will be called up in groups for your event(s). Shortly before the event, we will post which group(s) you've been assigned to and send an email with them. When you arrive, you will also receive a nametag with personalized information detailing your events and what group you will be competing in for each event.
- If you miss the last call for an event, you will not be able to compete in that event. Missing an event does not bar you from competing in subsequent events (but does bar you from competing in subsequent rounds of events you missed).
- Don't forget to bring a blindfold if you are competing in any blind events.
- PLEASE BE QUIET. All competition attendees are required to remain quiet during these events. Attendees wishing to socialize or otherwise talk at full volume must do so outside the room of the competition, as to not to distract competitors.
- Spectating is free and open to the public.
- Photography and videography will be permitted, however there shall be NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY. This is very distracting for competitors.
- During the competition, please stay at least 1.5 meters away from the solving stations. Again, this is very distracting.
- Schedule is tentative to change. If any changes are made to the competition or schedule, they will be clearly announced to all competitors in an email.
- All competitors will be assigned judging roles.
- Please provide adult supervision for children under 12 years of age.
- DO NOT attend the competition if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or if you were exposed to someone with COVID-19.
You may also receive assignments for helping with judging, running, and scrambling. For each event you sign up for, you will be assigned to help out for one group of that event, and we may ask for extra help in addition to assigned staff. We encourage all competitors to help out in order to keep the competition running smoothly.
This competition is a PBQ (Please Be Quiet) competition, and the only events that are being offered are:
- 4x4x4 Blindfolded
- 5x5x5 Blindfolded
- 3x3x3 Multi-Blind
- 3x3x3 Fewest Moves
The events at this competition require significant levels of concentration, focus, and practice. All attendees, including guests, are expected to remain quiet during these events while in the competition room. Attendees wishing to socialize or otherwise talk at full volume must do so outside the competition room, as to not to distract competitors.
We recommend parking in the Gilman parking structure. Parking is $2.10 an hour, with an $8.40 daily maximum. See visitor parking info. Please park only in designated visitor parking areas. Cars parked in spots marked "24/7 Reserved" may be ticketed or towed.
Getting to UCSD (Gilman Parking Structure):
- From the North/South:
- Interstate 5 South Exit LA JOLLA VILLAGE DRIVE
- Go west on La Jolla Village Drive
- Turn right at Villa La Jolla Drive to enter the UC San Diego campus
- Proceed straight until you reach the Gilman Parking Structure, at the corner of Villa La Jolla Drive and Gilman Drive
Walking from Gilman Parking Structure:
- Head north on Russell Drive
- Turn left on Lyman Lane
- Price Center will be on the right
- The West Ballroom is located on the second floor
There are many options for food on the first floor of Price Center. Here is a list of places to eat on campus.
This competition will be sponsored by TheCubicle! They will be providing prizes for first place in every event. They will not be selling puzzles onsite.
Want to stay connected with the West Coast community? Join the West Coast Cubing Community Discord Server! Speak with other competitors from NorCal, SoCal, Nevada, Hawaii, and Tijuana and keep in touch with fellow competitors and meet new ones! Find out about competition discussion as it happens in real time, and even announcements for competitions before registration opens!
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.