NSW Open 2022
- Jun 11 - 12, 2022
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Knox Grammar School
- 2 Borambil Street, Wahroonga NSW 2076
- Speedcubing Australia
- WCA Delegates
- Bryan Eng, Edward Hollingdale, Ethan Pride, Kerrie Jarman, Myles Jarman, Nathan Seeto, Patrick Kleverlaan, Peri Le Dain, and Ruby van Vliet
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 500 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $30 (Australian Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 100% of your registration fee.
Registrants on the waiting list may be accepted onto the competitor list until .
If you are a registered competitor you may change your registered events until on the Register tab.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
Any spectator can attend for free.
Upon registering you will receive an email stating “Your registration for NSW Open 2022 is submitted and pending approval”. This does NOT mean that you are on the registration list. Competitors will not be approved until payment has been made.
Please ensure you have paid the registration fees via Stripe on the register page. Your registration is not complete and will not be processed until you have paid the $30 registration fee. Contact the organisational team if you encounter an issue.
- Once the competitor limit of 400 has filled, the waiting list will be opened.
- You must pay the $30 registration fee to be added to the waiting list.
- New registrations will be added to a waitlist and sorted in the order of payment.
- Waitlisted competitors will only be added to the competition if an existing competitors withdraws.
- All competitors still on the waiting list after 03/06/2022 will be removed and provided with a full refund.
- You may enquire about your position on the waiting list by contacting the organisational team.
- If you can no longer make the competition you may request a refund.
- To receive a full refund you must contact the organisational team by 03/06/2022.
- Withdrawing enables us to maximise attendance and for competitors on the waiting list to attend.
- Refunds will only be issued after this date if you are feeling unwell with COVID-19 symptoms or are awaiting a COVID test and can no longer attend the competition.
You may change the events you are registered on the Register tab by 03/06/2022. After this date it is not possible to add further events. It is also acceptable to not show up for any event you do not wish to compete in.
This competition will comply with the NSW Government requirements in place at the time of the competition. Please see the FAQ tab for any COVID requirements, which may change closer to the competition.
Communications from us:
- There will be important messages from the organisational team regarding your registration. Please ensure you whitelist our domain speedcubing.org.au in your email program.
- Once the competitor limit of 400 has filled, the waiting list will be opened.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
|3x3x3 Cube||Bryan Eng||6.50||7.14||Australia||8.94||7.38||6.50||7.11||6.93|
|2x2x2 Cube||Bryan Eng||1.73||2.23||Australia||2.11||1.73||2.18||2.73||2.39|
|4x4x4 Cube||Bryan Eng||26.69||31.01||Australia||33.14||26.69||30.42||32.28||30.33|
|5x5x5 Cube||Bryan Eng||52.97||57.15||Australia||1:00.81||52.97||54.55||57.63||59.27|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||Timothy Loh||33.62||DNF||Australia||DNF||38.51||33.62|
|3x3x3 One-Handed||Vincent Wong||10.99||13.15||Australia||10.99||12.07||13.83||13.54||14.56|
|3x3x3 Cube||First round||Ao5||5:00.00||Top 120 advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||5:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|2x2x2 Cube||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|4x4x4 Cube||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||2:30.00||2 attempts to get < 1:20.00||Top 12 advance to next round|
|5x5x5 Cube||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||4:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:00.00||Top 8 advance to next round|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||First round||Bo3||10:00.00 cumulative *||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Final||Bo3||10:00.00 cumulative *|
|3x3x3 One-Handed||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||1:30.00||2 attempts to get < 45.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Pyraminx||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Skewb||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue Knox Grammar School.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone Australia/Sydney.
Add to calendar
Schedule for Saturday (June 11, 2022)
Schedule for Sunday (June 12, 2022)
Please note there will NOT be any food or drink for sale at the venue. All competitors will need to make their own arrangements
We will be in the Grand Hall at Knox Grammar, close to the Gate 16 entrance on Woodville Road.
The Knox Senior School is a two-minute walk from Warrawee Station.
Please note that buses replace trains from Gordon on the T1
Enter from Gate 2 and walk around the oval to the Grand Hall
Knox is conveniently situated on the Pacific Highway, one of main arterial roads to and from the Sydney CBD. The M1 Motorway is situated only two minutes drive from the school. There is some undercover parking in the Borambil St carpark - see map below but it will not be sufficent and street parking will be required. Please be mindful of local residents.
If you use the carpark you will enter Gate 2 and walk around the oval to the Grand Hall - follow this map
NSW Open 2022 is nearly here, we are looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. This will be Sydney's largest ever speedcubing competition, we are expecting the registration period to be busy, be patient with our volunteers.
Here some important details that you need to be aware of.
* We will be in the Grand Hall, Knox Grammar, Woodville Ave, Wahroonga
* Check-in is from 8.15am - 9:15am Saturday, with the new competitor tutorial at 9:25am
* Ensure you are familiar with the WCA Regulations. You can also watch this guide for first time competitors.
* If this is your first competition AND you are NOT competing for Australia, please bring your passport or proof of citizenship.
* For your reference, the full competition schedule is HERE
* Returning competitors PLEASE bring your Speedcubing Australia lanyard
* This competition will be using pre-allocated fixed seated groups. Within a round of an event, there will be multiple groups of competitors.
* You can find your personal schedule and a list of all groups on the Competitor Groups tab.
* Each competitor will also receive a print out of this schedule at registration.
* While we will endeavour to run to schedule for all groups, you MUST be ready to compete 30 minutes before the scheduled time for your group. Sometimes we also run ahead so please be at the venue when your group is called up. Occasionally there are delays throughout the day.
* We will be in the Grand Hall, Knox Grammar , near the Woodville Ave Gate 16 entrance
* The closest train station is Warrawee. Please be aware that buses replace trains from Gordon on the T1
* There is some undercover parking in the school's Borambil St carpark - see map on the website but it will not be sufficient and street parking will be required for most people. Please be mindful of local residents.
* There is NO food or drink for sale at the school and there are not many facilities close by. Please plan accordingly.
Judging and staffing schedule
* We need a lot of support from judges for this competition.
* You will notice that most competitors have been assigned judging groups along with their competing groups. it is expected that this is the minimum that must be completed throughout the weekend and you will be required to assist further.
* It is expected that ALL competitors will make themselves available to assist in judging the competition (as per Regulation 1e2) . Please make sure you are familiar with the process of solving and judging. If you need a refresher, please come to the new competitor / judging tutorial or speak to any of the Delegates..
* We will be running a dedicated judging tutorial session for anyone who would like to be involved but hasn't had any experience in cubing. The tutorial has been designed specifically for non-cubers and will answer all the questions you have been afraid to ask!
Further Competitor information
* Spectators / guests are permitted, there is no cost nor a limit to the number of spectators
* No flash photography under any circumstances within the venue. It is extremely distracting for competitors.
* There are thousands of puzzles at these events, make sure to keep yours together so you don't lose them! Keeping them in a bag and looking after it at all times is recommended. If you do lose a puzzle (or anything else), please speak to us at the event or contact us, it is possible someone has handed it in to us.
* There will be 10 delegates at this competition - they will be the ones in the bright red shirts. You can ask them any questions on the day.
* Results on the day will be uploaded to WCA Live.
NSW Open organising committee
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I change my events?
The deadline for adding additional events has passed. It is OK if you drop out or don't show up for an event
Q. Are spectators permitted and what is the cost?
We encourage spectators and is often good to come watch first to understand how a competition operates. You will then know what to do when you do compete. There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved as a volunteer. There is no cost.
Q. What time should I arrive at the competition?
You should arrive for registration from 8:15am. Please note the schedule is subject to change on the day, sometimes we run ahead, you should always be at the venue ready to compete 30 minutes before you are scheduled to compete. The new competitor tutorial will begin at 9.25am
Q. How old do I have to be to compete?
Anyone can compete at any age! We encourage anyone considering to compete to register as it will be a great experience regardless of age.
Q. How fast do I have to be to compete?
To compete you only need to know how to solve the cube! Please check the events tab for information in time limits for each event.
Q. What do I need to know before the competition day?
Before attending you should have read and understood the WCA regulations . We also recommend that you watch this helpful competitor guide and read this competition tutorial. You should also know when your events are scheduled throughout the day.
Q. How do I find out if I've progressed to the second round?
Times will be uploaded through the day. Please allow up to an hour from finishing your solves to them being uploaded. After all the times of a round has been entered, you can see if you are in the following round.
Q. Can I help on the day?
Of course! Throughout the day we will need judges and runners so please see our Delegates to ask how you can best assist.
Q. How do I find out about other upcoming competitions in Australia?
You can find out about upcoming competitions in Australia by signing up to the Speedcubing Australia mailing list.
Q. Where can I ask other questions?
The organisational team can answer all your questions.
Q. What COVID safety protocols will be in place?
The competition will adhere to NSW COVID restrictions in place at the time, at this time it is not expected there will be any mandatory rules regarding vaccination requirements or mask wearing. However we will email competitors if there are any changes to this.
You MUST NOT attend if you are:
- unwell with any COVID symptoms
- been directed to isolate by NSW Health
Q. Can I get a refund if I am isolating?
Yes, if you are in isolation you will be eligible for a refund of your registration fees. You must email us before the competition begins.
Q. Do I have to wear a face mask?
Face masks are recommended for competitors and guests.
Q. Can I bring my own face mask and/or hand sanitiser?
Yes, it is recommended that you bring your own face mask and hand sanitiser. Hand sanitiser will be provided at the venue.
Q. Where can I ask other questions?
Please contact the organisational team.
Live results will be provided via WCALive. It may take up to an hour between times being set and them appearing online.
At this competition we will be holding magic and master magic as unofficial events during the lunch break on the Sunday. The unofficial events are brought to you by dailypuzzles:
Specifically for the unofficial Magic and Master Magic solving only we will be following the 2010 version of WCA regulations.
Master Magic Results
The first rounds of all events will be run in pre-determined fixed seated groups. It is important that you know which groups of each event you are in.
Throughout the competition we will also need LOTS of judges, runners and scramblers. All competitiors will need to do some judging at the bare minimum, usually in other groups of your events, the more events you do the more your will need to help out. If you don't know how to help please come and ask, there is almost always something for you to do.
If you have any questions about the groups please contact us here
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.