Brilliant Ballarat 2022
- Feb 12 - 13, 2022
- Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
- 3 Lyons Street South, Ballarat
St Patrick's Cathedral Hall
- Aaron Spiller, Nicholas Eppingstall, and Speedcubing Australia
- WCA Delegates
- Christopher Beckman, David Edwards, Ethan Pride, Kerrie Jarman, Lennon Hughes, Myles Jarman, and Patrick Kleverlaan
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
Thanks to DailyPuzzles for sponsoring this competition
Please take the time to read the FAQ tab, even if you have previously competed. To ensure this is a COVID-safe environment, things will be done differently and there will be additional conditions in place. Competitors may only bring ONE spectator/guest.
If you feel sick, stay at home. If you are exhibiting cold or flu-like symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you will not be permitted in the venue. We are not responsible for any illness you may contract from the competition.
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 110 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $30 (Australian Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 100% of your registration fee.
Registrants on the waiting list may be accepted onto the competitor list until .
If you are a registered competitor you may change your registered events until by contacting the organization team.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
Spectators are only permitted as companions of competitors.
Upon registering you will receive an email stating “Your registration for Brilliant Ballarat 2022 is submitted and pending approval”. This does NOT mean that you are on the registration list. Competitors will not be approved until payment has been made.
Please ensure you have paid the registration fees via Stripe on the register page. Your registration is not complete and will not be processed until you have paid the $30 registration fee. Contact the organisational team if you encounter an issue.
- Once the competitor limit of 110 has filled, the waiting list will be opened.
- You must pay the $30 registration fee to be added to the waiting list.
- New registrations will be added to a waitlist and sorted in the order of payment.
- Waitlisted competitors will only be added to the competition if an existing competitors withdraws.
- All competitors still on the waiting list after 04/02/2022 will be removed and provided with a full refund.
- You may enquire about your position on the waiting list by contacting the organisational team.
- If you can no longer make the competition you may request a refund.
- To receive a full refund you must contact the organisational team by 04/02/2022.
- Withdrawing enables us to maximise attendance and for competitors on the waiting list to attend.
- Refunds will only be issued after this date if you are feeling unwell with COVID-19 symptoms or are awaiting a COVID test and can no longer attend the competition.
You may change the events you registered for via the Register tab up to 04/02/2022. After this date, it is not possible to add additional events. It is also acceptable to not show up for any event you do not wish to compete in.
- Proof of vaccination (COVID-19 digital certificate) will be required upon entry for all competitors and guests above 18 years. Proof of vaccination will only be accepted via Services Victoria app or mygov documentation. Find out how you can get your COVID-19 digital certificate here.
- Face masks are mandatory for all competitors and guests
- There is a density quotient, competitors may only bring one guest/spectator to ensure we do not exceed the density limit.
- All competitors and guests must check-in using the QR code
- If you feel sick, stay at home. If you are exhibiting cold or flu-like symptoms consistent with COVID-19, you will not be permitted in the venue.
Communications from us:
- There will be important messages from the organisational team regarding your registration. Please ensure you whitelist our domain speedcubing.org.au in your email program.
- Once the competitor limit of 110 has filled, the waiting list will be opened.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
|3x3x3 Cube||Riley Dexter||6.69||7.38||Australia||7.97||6.87||6.69||9.85||7.31|
|2x2x2 Cube||Phoenix Patterson||1.47||1.64||Australia||1.47||1.51||1.67||1.75||2.04|
|4x4x4 Cube||Feliks Zemdegs||24.52||26.31||Australia||28.86||24.52||26.56||25.63||26.73|
|5x5x5 Cube||Feliks Zemdegs||42.00||43.93||Australia||44.81||42.00||42.09||47.71||44.90|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||Michael Tripodi||20.47||DNF||Australia||20.47||22.02||DNF|
|4x4x4 Blindfolded||Michael Tripodi||1:41.19||DNF||Australia||DNF||1:41.19||DNF|
|5x5x5 Blindfolded||Michael Tripodi||3:33.98||OcR||DNF||Australia||3:33.98||DNF||DNF|
|3x3x3 Cube||First round||Ao5||5:00.00||Top 48 advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||5:00.00||Top 16 advance to next round|
|2x2x2 Cube||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 48 advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 16 advance to next round|
|4x4x4 Cube||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||3:00.00||2 attempts to get < 1:20.00||Top 12 advance to next round|
|5x5x5 Cube||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||4:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:15.00|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||First round||Bo3||10:00.00 cumulative *||Top 16 advance to next round|
|Final||Bo3||10:00.00 cumulative *|
|Pyraminx||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 16 advance to next round|
|Skewb||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 16 advance to next round|
|Square-1||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||1:30.00||2 attempts to get < 45.00|
|4x4x4 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||1:00:00.00 total for 5x5x5 Blindfolded Final and 4x4x4 Blindfolded Final **|
|5x5x5 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||1:00:00.00 total for 5x5x5 Blindfolded Final and 4x4x4 Blindfolded Final **|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue St Patrick's Cathedral.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone Australia/Melbourne.
Add to calendar
Schedule for Saturday (February 12, 2022)
Schedule for Sunday (February 13, 2022)
Brilliant Ballarat 2022 is nearly here, we are looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. Please see below for some important details that you need to be aware of.
- We will be at St Patrick's Cathedral Hall 3 Lyons Street South, Ballarat Central.
- Check-in will start at 9am Saturday.
- New competitor tutorial is at 9.30am Saturday
- For your reference, the full competition schedule can be found here.
- Results on the day will be uploaded to WCA Live.
COVID Safety Information
- In line with Victorian government regulations all competitors and guests will be required to wear a mask while indoors, and use the QR-code check-in.
- All competitors and guests over 18 will need to be fully vaccinated
- Hand Sanitiser will be available at the competition.
- If you are sick, awaiting the results of a COVID test or generally unwell and showing any symptoms no matter how mild, you must NOT attend this competition. You may receive a refund of your registration fee if you are unable to attend because of these reasons (You must notify us before the competition begins)
- Please maintain social distancing wherever possible throughout the entire competition.
- It is recommended competitors bring their own water bottle and do not share food and drink with others.
- For COVID-safety the sharing of puzzles between competitors is also discouraged - competitors should bring all their required puzzles to the competition.
- This competition will be using pre-allocated fixed seated groups. Within a round of an event there will be multiple groups of competitors.
- You can find your personal schedule and a list of all groups on the competition website.
- Each competitor will also receive a print out of this schedule at registration.
- While we will endeavour to run to schedule for all groups, you MUST be ready to compete 30 minutes before the scheduled time for your group. Sometimes we also run ahead so please be at the venue when your group is called up. Please also be aware that delays may occur throughout the day.
- The competition venue is the St Patrick's Cathedral Hall. The hall is the red brick building NEXT to actual cathedral.
- The east side of Dawson St, as well as both sides of Sturt St is paid parking whereas the west side of Lyons Street is free parking.
- HERE is a good parking map, the areas in orange indicate where you must pay for parking.
- The gates will be open on both Lyons Street and Dawson Street sides of the property.
First time competitors
- If you are NOT competing for Australia, please bring your passport or proof of citizenship.
- Ensure you are familiar with the WCA Regulations. You can also watch this guide for first time competitors.
- The new competitor tutorial is at 9.30am Saturday.
Judging and staffing schedule
- We need a lot of support from judges for this competition.
- You will notice that every competitor has been assigned judging groups along with their competing groups. it is expected that this is the minimum that must be completed throughout the weekend and you will be required to assist further.
- It is expected that ALL competitors will make themselves available to assist in judging the competition (as per Regulation 1e2) . Please make sure you are familiar with the process of solving and judging. If you need a refresher, please come to the new competitor / judging tutorial or speak to your delegates - Ethan, Kerrie, Patrick or David.
- We will be running a dedicated judging tutorial session for anyone who would like to be involved but hasn't had any experience in cubing. The tutorial has been designed specifically for non-cubers and will answer all the questions you have been afraid to ask!
Information for all Competitors
- Tingman has done a fantastic video on how to prepare for a competition
- Please remember to bring your Speedcubing Australia lanyard from a previous competition. We will also be recycling the name tag plastic sleeves, please bring along any plastic sleeves you have and deposit them in the collection box at the registration desk.
- No flash photography under any circumstances within the venue. It is extremely distracting for competitors.
- There are hundreds of puzzles at these events, make sure to keep yours together so you don't lose them! Keeping them in a bag and looking after it at all times is recommended. If you do lose a puzzle (or anything else), please speak to us at the event or contact us, it is possible someone has handed it in to us.
- Your organisers are Aaron Spiller and Nick Eppingstall, There will be four delegates at this competition, Ethan Pride, Kerrie Jarman, David Edwards, and Patrick Kleverlaan. We will also have 3 brand new trainee delegates; Chris Beckman, Lennon Hughes and Myles Jarman You can ask any of these people any questions on the day.
- For your reference, the full competition schedule can be found here. There have been some slight changes to the schedule since it was first posted.
- Results on the day will be uploaded to WCA Live.
Brilliant Ballarat organising committee
The competition venue is located at 3 Lyons Street South, Ballarat Central.
NOTE: The east side of Dawson St, as well as both sides of Sturt St is paid parking whereas the west side of Lyons Street is free parking. HERE is a good map, the areas in orange indicate where you must pay for parking. The competition is in the hall (red brick building) and not the actual cathedral. Gates will be open on both Lyons Street and Dawson Street sides of the property.
Vline trains can be taken to Ballarat Train Station which is located on Lydiard Street approximately 1.2km from the venue by foot.
Bus routes 11, 24, 25 and 26 stop outside of the Cathedral on Sturt Street
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I change my events?
You must make any change to your registered events by February 4th 2022. Contact the organisational team detailing your event changes.
Q. What time should I arrive at the competition?
You should arrive for registration at 9:00am. Please note the schedule is subject to change on the day sometimes we run ahead, you should always be at the venue ready to compete 30 minutes before you are scheduled to compete.
Q. How old do I have to be to compete?
Anyone can compete at any age! We encourage anyone considering to compete to register as it will be a great experience regardless of age.
Q. How fast do I have to be to compete?
To compete you only need to know how to solve the cube! Please check the events tab for information in time limits for each event.
Q. What do I need to know before the competition day?
Before attending you should have read and understood the WCA regulations . We also recommend that you watch this helpful competitor guide and read this competition tutorial. You should also know when your events are scheduled throughout the day.
Q. I have learnt another puzzle, how can I update my events?
You can now update your own events, by clicking on the Register tab.
Q. How do I find out if I've progressed to the second round?
Times will be uploaded through the day. Please allow up to an hour from finishing your solves to them being uploaded. After all the times of a round has been entered, you can see if you are in the following round.
Q. Who can I ask for help on the day?
Your Delegates for this competition are David Edwards, Ethan Pride, Kerrie Jarman and Partick Kleverlaan. Feel free to ask them any questions you may have on the day.
Q. Can I help on the day?
Of course! Throughout the day we will need judges and runners so please see our Delegates to ask how you can best assist.
Q. How do I find out about other upcoming competitions in Australia?
You can find out about upcoming competitions in Australia by signing up to the Speedcubing Australia mailing list.
Q. Where can I ask other questions?
The organisational team can answer all your questions.
Q. What COVID safety protocols will be in place?
The organisers have put together a COVID safety plan.
- Proof of vaccination (COVID-19 digital certificate) will be required upon entry for all competitors and guests above 18 years.
- Face masks are required for all competitors and guests over 8 years of age
- There will be an increased focus on hand hygiene and maintaining social distancing, hand sanitiser will be available throughout the venue.
- There will be an increased cleaning regime.
You MUST NOT attend if you are:
- unwell with any COVID symptoms
- been directed to isolate by the Department of Health
- awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test
Q. Can I get a refund if I am isolating?
Yes, if you are in isolation you will be eligible for a refund of your registration fees. You must email us before the competition begins.
Q. Will there be an attendee limit at this competition?
Yes, each competitor may only bring ONE guest/spectator to ensure we stay with the density quotient. All guests and spectators above 18 years must be fully vaccinated and checkin via the QR code.
Q. Do I have to wear a face mask?
Yes. Face masks are required for all competitors and guests over 8 years of age.
Q. Can I bring my own face mask and/or hand sanitiser?
Yes, you must bring your own face mask. Hand sanitiser will be provided at the venue.
Q. Can I still borrow some one else's puzzles?
We advise against sharing of puzzles.
Please make sure your puzzles are legal for competition, especially for events such as 3x3 blindfolded (no logos!). All of the information regarding cube legality can be found in the WCA Regulations. If you are unsure about this please don't hesitate to contact the organisers with any questions.
Q. Where can I ask other questions?
Please contact the organisational team.
The first rounds of all events will be run in pre-determined fixed seated groups. It is important that you know which groups of each event you are in.
Throughout the competition we will also need LOTS of judges, runners and scramblers. All competitiors will need to do some judging at the bare minimum, usually in other groups of your events, the more events you do the more your will need to help out. If you don't know how to help please come and ask, there is almost always something for you to do.
If you have any questions about the groups please contact us here
Live results will be provided via WCALive. It may take up to an hour between times being set and them appearing online.
If you reach the time limit during your solve, the judge will stop you and your result will be DNF (see Regulation A1a4).
A cumulative time limit may be enforced (see Regulation A1a2).
A cumulative time limit may be enforced across rounds (see Guideline A1a2++).
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.