Announced by Lucas Garron on
The WRC invites the WCA Community to discuss and send feedback on a new draft version of the WCA Regulations for early 2019. This version is not final, and we welcome suggestions on any aspect of the set of changes.
If there are no major issues, we plan to send a final draft to the WCA Board for approval at the beginning of March. (See Motion 14.2019.1 for details about the process.)
The changes listed in this summary are publicly available at https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/posts/call-for-feedback-wca-regulations-2019-draft. You can review all individual changes in this comparison on GitHub. If you do not want to open all the individual changes, you can click on "Files changed" to see the full textual changes to the Regulations and Guidelines. All changes and additions are marked green and removals are red.
Round format changes:
Competition organization changes:
- Scramble signatures should be used for all competitions in 2019 (commit | discussion | discussion | discusssion)
- Scramble signatures are planned to become mandatory in 2020.
The WCA Delegate must not give scramblers (or anyone else) access to scramble sequences for any group before it has begun. (commit)
- Note that TNoodle 0.14.0 includes scramble set PDFs with individual passcodes to help with this.
Time limits have been clarified (commit)
- Time limits must be announced before the competition, rather than just before the
- Only one cumulative time limit can apply to a given round.
- Cumulative time limits include time elapsed in DNF attempts.
- The judge and WCA Delegate may estimate cumulative elapsed time (commit)
Scramblers should be visually isolated from competitors. (commit)
Many competition requirements have been moved from the Regulations to the new WCA Competition Requirements Policy (commit)
Other substantial changes and clarifications:
- Individual non-permitted puzzles in multi BLD may count as unsolved instead of DNFing the whole attempt, at the discretion of the Delegate. (commit | discussion)
- Competitors are allowed to have hand warmers and food at certain times, at the discretion of the Delegate. (commit | discussion)
- The competitor must not ask for assistance during a pop, and the judge should prevent others from assisting. If someone picks up a popped part for the competitor, the judge or competitor may ask them to place it on the solving station and not to assist any further. (commit | discussion)
- The competitor may touch the official stopwatch, unless the organization team provides an unofficial stopwatch for the competitor. (commit | discussion)
- Starting the timer always ends inspection and begins the solve. This means that the competitor cannot "test" the timer once inspection has begun. (commit | discussion)
- It is explicitly forbidden to cause puzzle defects intentionally. (commit | discussion)
- If there are multiple green faces next to the top face, the darkest is placed in front for scrambling. (commit)
- We've specified that Multi-Blind result times are always rounded to seconds, matching the results database. (commit)
- Notation for NxNxN cubes has been clarified (commit)
- Outer Block Moves that move n slices (e.g. nFw) must have 1 < n < N (where N is the number of layers in the puzzle).
- Execution Turn Metric (ETM) is defined, and used to define the move limit for 3x3x3 Fewest Moves.
- Clarifications for Fewest Moves (commit)
- Information to identify an attempt is defined as name, WCA ID, or registrant ID (at least one), and optionally competition name/round/attempt number.
- The competitor may write information to identify the attempt before the attempt has begun.
- The competitor may write information to identify the attempt in front of a judge while submitting a solution (but the information must not be added after).
- Competitors should black out/scribble out moves that are not part of the solution.
- Judges may interpret
[r] for inexperienced competitors.
- Competitors may supply their own pens for Fewest Moves if they wish. (commit)
- Pencils and similar writing implements are explicitly permitted for Fewest Moves.
- Competitors may join a 3x3x3 Fewest Moves attempt late, if there is no risk they could have information about the scramble (commit)