Applications for WCA Continental Championships 2024
Dear WCA Staff & Regional Organizations,
The Board of Directors would like to receive applications for WCA Continental Championships 2024 for the following regions:
- North America
- South America
Please discuss with the Delegates in your country whether this is something you are willing and able to pursue. Bear in mind that organizing a competition of this size takes a significant amount of time and effort before and during the competition. Please note that applications for continental championships must be endorsed by WCA Recognized Regional Organizations.
If you are interested, send your application documents privately to email@example.com before May 31st, 2022, 23:59UTC. Documents must be sent in PDF format in two versions: one full version with all the details for the application, and another version with sensitive details - if any - removed to make public.
Please include in your application documents at least the following information:
- When would you like to hold your Continental Championship 2024?
- Possible dates
- Number of days of the competition.
- Overlap with international holiday periods of schools.
- Where would you like to hold your Continental Championship 2024 in your country?
- City should be interesting to visit for foreigners with opportunities for sightseeing.
- Ease of international, national, and local travel.
- Availability of hotels/apartments with different price categories.
- Venue, venue size, and venue setup (stage, audience, tables to practice, side rooms).
- Technology available like the internet, video streaming, lighting, sound equipment.
- Number of competitors and spectators that can be hosted.
- What would the organization team and staff look like?
- Core team members.
- Experience of the core team.
- Involvement of other parties.
- Quantity and quality of local volunteers (guideline is 20% of competitors should staff).
- Required support by foreign Delegates.
- What would be the overall budget for the competition?
- Cost (venue, venue services, stage, equipment, decorations, website, badges/lanyards/gift packs, prizes).
- Income (registration fees, sponsoring, local government).
Here is an example document with a non-exhaustive list of topics that need to be arranged and budgeted for a large competition: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w6uxOHrr40of1R4-NjU1vy7fVJXRHiRZBn53Hc-IOk8
Once the application period is over, the WCA Board of Directors will interview applicants, consult other WCA Staff members, and vote in order to decide where each 2024 Continental Championship will take place. If any Director will be involved in a team that sends in an application, they will be replaced in the selection process by another person (for example a Senior Delegate or a Committee/Team Leader).
We are looking for a competition that can reinforce our concept of large WCA competitions, boosting the professionalization of our organization and being able to offer the competitors the best possible experience and the world the best possible show.
Thank you for your cooperation in advance!
Note: Applications for Africa & Oceania will open later in the year.