Big Cheese 2020
- Feb 1, 2020
- Viroqua, Wisconsin, United States
Grace Evangelical Free Church
- 915 County Road B Viroqua, WI 54665
The competition is being held downstairs
- Organization team
- Christopher Baird
- WCA Delegate
- Joshua Feran
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
6x6 is the main event of this competition.
An unofficial round of feet will be held!
You can compete in Multi-Blind OR 5x5 Blindfolded but not both since they are taking place at the same time.
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 40 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $5 (United States Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 100% of your registration fee.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
Walker Welch won with a mean of 1:57.35 in the 6x6x6 Cube event. Carter Kucala finished second (2:11.98) and Joshua Feran finished third (2:26.20).
|3x3x3 Cube||Carter Kucala||6.42||7.64||United States||6.56||8.97||8.89||6.42||7.46|
|5x5x5 Cube||Carter Kucala||54.06||1:03.21||United States||1:11.68||1:04.41||54.06||58.05||1:07.17|
|6x6x6 Cube||Walker Welch||1:50.14||1:57.35||United States||2:00.50||2:01.40||1:50.14|
|7x7x7 Cube||Walker Welch||2:40.66||2:44.60||United States||2:40.66||2:47.36||2:45.77|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||Will Cerne||32.62||DNF||United States||DNF||DNF||32.62|
|3x3x3 Fewest Moves||Joshua Feran||30||United States||30|
|Megaminx||Carter Kucala||53.56||1:01.20||United States||1:07.41||57.55||58.90||53.56||1:07.14|
|Square-1||Simon Kellum||9.64||12.08||United States||13.99||16.05||9.79||12.47||9.64|
|5x5x5 Blindfolded||Joshua Feran||17:02.00||DNF||United States||17:02.00||DNS||DNS|
|3x3x3 Multi-Blind||Will Cerne||20/26 54:26||United States||20/26 54:26|
|5x5x5 Cube||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||5:30.00||2 attempts to get < 3:30.00|
|6x6x6 Cube||First round||Bo1 / Mo3||8:00.00||1 attempt to get < 5:00.00||Top 50% advance to next round|
|7x7x7 Cube||Final||Bo1 / Mo3||10:00.00||1 attempt to get < 8:00.00|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||30:00.00 cumulative *|
|3x3x3 Fewest Moves||Final||Bo1||1 hour|
|Megaminx||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||6:00.00||2 attempts to get < 3:00.00|
|Square-1||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||5:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:00.00|
|5x5x5 Blindfolded||Final||Bo3||1:00:00.00 cumulative *|
|3x3x3 Multi-Blind||Final||Bo1||10:00.00 per cube, up to 60:00.00|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue Grace Evangelical Free Church.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone America/Chicago.
Add to calendar
Schedule for Saturday (February 01, 2020)
- Before the competition, please watch this great video made by WCA Senior Delegate for USA & Canada Kit Clement with the basics of how it all works.
- The competitors will be split up into groups for competing. You will be assigned a group and you'll be informed of your group number for each event before the competition. On the day of the competition when your group number is called you bring your puzzle up and put it in the box that has a scorecard with your name on it and wait in the competitor waiting area until your name is called.
- It's a good idea to arrive before the scheduled time for your event because if you are not there for the last call you might not be allowed to compete.
- Read the "All Competitors" information below.
- Be familiar with the WCA Regulations specifically Article 2 and Article A. If you are planning to compete in blindsolving events you should also be familiar with Article B, and if you are planning to compete in 3x3 With Feet you should be familiar with Article D.
- We are going to need all the help we can get from volunteer judges throughout the day to make the competition run well. You may judge in any group you are not competing in and it is greatly appreciated! If you do not know how to judge all of the staff members are more than happy to teach you. Parents are welcome to judge too, it's a great way to get a new experience at your child's event!
- Flash photography is NOT allowed because it is distracting to people while they are solving.
- You must NOT talk about the scrambles of an event while it is still in progress.
- Make sure all screens of any cameras or phones you have on the table are facing away from you otherwise this will result in a DNF.
- Please treat the venue with respect, pick up any trash, and keep track of your puzzles. The church is generously allowing us to use the basement free of charge, please be respectful of that so that we can hold competitions here in the future.
- We will do our best to retain the cutoffs and time limits as listed. The organizers/delegates reserve the right to make the limits stricter ahead of an event only as needed to maintain the schedule. Any changes will be announced ahead of their respective rounds.
- We may add additional rounds to any events if we have extra time.
There will be roast beef, bread, and condiments available for everyone to make sandwiches for lunch. Entry fee includes lunch for both competitors and spectators.
You are welcome to bring your own food in, but please keep it downstairs.
There are several restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, and cafes within 5 minutes drive, if you need directions just ask.
There are a few motels in Viroqua, but since this is a small, single day competition we don't expect that enough people will be staying the night to arrange a block rate.
The church is located on the West side of Viroqua, go out Hwy 56 from downtown past the high school, take a right on County B, the church driveway is the second on the right, before the mobile home park. Viroqua is located on Hwy 14, roughly 2 hours from Madison and 1 hour from La Crosse. The address is 915 County Hwy B, Viroqua, WI 54665.
The competition will be held downstairs: come in the front door, and take the stairs to the left.
Handicap access is around the back. Avoid coming in that way if possible: the door opens only from the inside, into the competition area.
The surface for 3x3 With Feet is carpet.
Competing groups can be seen here
An unofficial round of 3x3 With Feet will be held at this competition with a 20 minute cumulative time limit. Anyone is welcome to try this event out!
If you reach the time limit during your solve, the judge will stop you and your result will be DNF (see Regulation A1a4).
A cumulative time limit may be enforced (see Regulation A1a2).
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.